Sunday, June 23, 2013

Montage!

Today's Japanese Word of the Day:
おそい
Osoi
(Adj.: Late)

Ehehe, hi, everyone! Please hold the rotten tomatoes, I promise I didn't mean to wait nearly a week between posts. I'm still healthy and happy and everything, it's just that this week was a bit slower and we didn't do as much, so I had nothing to post on. Now I do, so here's a couple of posts!

This one is called Montage, because it's essentially a visual montage of things I've taken pictures of over the week that don't necessarily need a full post to themselves.

Cue music!


I found peanut butter.

<3

However, this is peanut butter I will never buy. You can see the price tag right at the bottom: $5.01, for one of those tiny little jars.

This peanut butter is sold at another supermarket we found near the dorms. It's called Harves. From the way it's spelled in Japanese, and also from the logo, which has a picture of wheat, we assume it's supposed to be called "Harvest" and they forgot the "T."


Except for perhaps the gristle skewer, this is the thing that has shocked me the most about Japan. These are bags of rice. They're going from between $9.89 to $13.99 a bag, and these bags aren't even that big. You would think rice would be inexpensive in Japan. Apparently not.


This is a flower we saw one day. I think it might have been on our way back from Harves. It kind of looked plastic even in real life, but it is not plastic. This is a real flower. It's pretty awesome.


This is also a real centipede, which we found at the university.

Bugs are bigger and more numerous in Japan, I've discovered. Must be the climate.


One night this week, we went out with some Japanese students for udon. Udon is kind of like ramen. It's a noodle dish, sometimes with lots of broth and sometimes not, which can have a variety of different stir-ins and toppings. The major difference is that ramen is made with ramen noodles, and udon is made with udon noodles. Udon noodles are much thicker. In the picture, you can see the big picture menu above the cooking station.


This was my dinner. I had beef udon, and I put the green onions on top. I like green onions. You can see how thick the noodles are in that bowl. Udon is really good, though those noodles and the thickness thereof really kind of weirded me out. Especially since you're supposed to slurp your noodles in Japan.

That roll thing next to the udon, on its separate tray? That is called inari, and it is one of the most delightful foods ever invented. It's a type of sushi (that fish-less sushi I kept insisting was real, Dad). It's rice, prepared some kind of way (it couldn't be just boiled, because I found sesame seeds in it), and wrapped in fried tofu, which tastes like there might have been soy sauce in the process of the frying. It is MAGICAL.


These are two of the Japanese students we ate with, plus me. I kind of look like I'm photo-bombing in this picture. Note their hair color--it seems to be a really popular dye color right now in Japan.


Here's most of the rest of the group at the udon restaurant. Obviously, we were having a lot of fun. The Japanese guy in the back, the one holding the paper fan, is Kenta, or Kenny as we call him. He's really cool. The one with his head in front of the folding flyer is Nozomu, which I have a better picture of later on in another post. He wasn't wearing his mask that day.


This is the view out the window I sat with my back to. I am such a raging tourist.

And that's all for this montage. I'm sure there will be other montage posts in the future.

Lots of love to everyone!

~Amanda

2 comments: